Tuesday, October 29, 2013

my baby is 5!

Ari gets a kick out of it when I say that he will always be my baby...even when he's 30. (I'll just have to remember not to call him my baby when he is graduating.)  He has been counting down the days until he turned 5, then naturally he said to me today "I can't wait to be 6!"


He has developed a love for bugs, specifically worms and crickets. He spent the past month or so catching all the crickets and roly poly bugs in our basement and releasing them outside. Oh yeah...and the frogs that seem to get trapped in our window well. He was throwing back all the worms from our driveway when it rained a few weeks ago and making sure no one stepped on them.


When I think he is off playing, he will often surprise me with a deep question such as "How can God see me if He's in my heart?" or "Why did God make diseases?" It makes my heart proud to see that he isn't always thinking about his toys...although we still struggle with sharing at times.


He has taken on the role of big brother very well. I love to hear him invite Evangeline to come play with him. Sometimes though he just wants alone time and will tell us he'd rather play by himself. He doesn't like to be alone in a room by himself, so will ask me to be with him while he plays if the girls are sleeping. He has a cd player in the basement and really enjoys sitting down there and listening to music.


I do find them goofing around a lot together...which makes the bickering not seem so bad. There are some days though that I have to remind myself that they really do love each other, despite the constant quarreling.


He has a special place in his heart for Selah...since she doesn't take his toys :) But really, he is constantly aware of what she wants or needs or would enjoy. He likes to carry her around, help feed her, gets her toys, makes her laugh, and so on. If she cries he will suggest what she possibly needs. He has finally gotten used to having so many girls around...for a while it was a struggle to explain why they got to wear bows, headbands, and paint their nails. He has become good friends with the neighbor boys and we have let him play with them a few times without the girls tagging along. It has been a struggle to allow him freedoms like that...but realize he is gradually turning in to a young boy and no longer a baby, toddler, or even preschooler. *Insert tears now* I have to learn to let go and just trust that he will make right choices when we aren't with him.


This face just melts my heart. It is the face I see when I think of him. The sparkly blue eyes, swoopy hair on his forehead, mischievous smile. It encompasses his sweet spirit.


I am always impressed by his memory. He will randomly say "remember when..." and it be something from 2 or 3 years ago that I had even forgotten about. I just pray that we are utilizing that sponge of a brain to teach him valuable lessons that he will remember all his life. 

And just for fun...I wanted to get a picture on his actual birthday with his sisters.


And this is how it usually goes :)



Happy Birthday, my sweet sweet boy!