Friday, March 20, 2015

Lincoln Alan

I don't even know where to begin except by saying "HE'S HERE!"

We had some long, stressful weeks leading up to his arrival. He was head down up until 36 weeks, then decided to move transverse. Then he went back to being head down, then at week 38 he was breech. To say we were stressed is an understatement. I had to meet with another doctor to talk about the "what if's" and I was determined to not let this end in surgery. I know it wouldn't have been the end of the world but it never occurred to me that having a c-section was an option since my previous births did not come with complications. We spent every evening doing different things to get him to turn again, I even drove up north several times to see a chiropractor who specializes in turning babies. Thankfully he turned just in time before making his appearance on March 10th.


I did not expect to have him early and especially on that Tuesday. I felt normal all day and around 5:15 pm I started to feel weird. AJ was just getting off work and by the time he got home (30 min later), I went from no contractions to having strong ones every 4-5 minutes. We got busy packing up our kids stuff and also our stuff. By the time the kids were picked up and we were packed, I called the midwife at 7 and she suggested me going right away to the hospital since Selah was born so quickly. The car ride over seemed long and I know AJ was anxious to get us there in time.


We got there around 7:30 and by the time they checked me I was still only 3-4 cm dilated but having even stronger contractions. After informing the nurses my last baby came quick they sent me off to our room after monitoring baby and getting iv antibiotics started. We had a student nurse taking us to the room and she didn't know where it was. If we were delayed for any more time getting there, I would have had another baby in the hallway! But we made it just in time. I was so exhausted by the time we got to the room I just wanted to lay down. (It just so happened that my room was the one I delivered in front of with Selah...so walking down that hall was bringing flashback memories of delivering right there.)


But AJ thought I should sit on the ball (oh wise husband) so I stood up and as soon as I did I needed to push. I pushed a few times standing up and the midwife kept telling me I needed to get on the bed. I remember saying "I can't!" but somehow mustered up enough energy to do so. Good thing cause he came after a few more pushes! At 8:35 Lincoln was born and we were so relieved everything turned out so well. It's always  a relief to hold your baby for the first time and know that he is healthy. Lincoln was 8 lbs and 21 1/4 inches long--bigger than I expected since he was 4 days early. After a long, hard 9 months we couldn't believe this moment was finally here.


We have always celebrated our kids 0th birthday with an ice cream cake. YUM!


The kids were so excited to meet him the next morning. They couldn't get enough of him. We had to get our first family photo.


I think they are all equally excited about him. Even Selah is super interested in holding him all the time. She will request "Hold baby Lincoln?"


And Evangeline does not surprise us with her mothering skills...she is a natural!


Ari seems so mature. It's kind of strange seeing him hold his brother wearing the same clothes he wore when he was a baby. I can't believe it's been 6 years since then!


Lincoln has been such an easy baby so far. He's a great sleeper and I normally only get up with him once a night. (I'm spoiled!)


We couldn't be happier. I spend every waking chance snuggling this little man because I know it won't last long.


Thank you Jesus for this precious gift.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Loved your post and the sweet pictures! We're very excited for your family!