Monday, October 25, 2010

some news

Since I am not creative and it is probably not a surprise to many people anymore, I am just going to say that...Ari is going to be a big brother!

I am relieved to have finally said it so that people know it's not a secret, but at the same time I have been dreading this post for a while. (Which is why I have procrastinated for so long!) That probably sounds absolutely ridiculous but for the past year I have been dreading the question that so many people found necessary to ask us "Are you pregnant?" With them naturally assuming it was our decision to not have another child yet. It's a hard thing to swallow when you know things don't go as you planned. Fortunately we have the hope that God's plan is much bigger than ours and just have to trust in it. But that's not easy either. It's just something we have learned to do month after month, negative test after negative test, after a miscarriage, and an entire year of trying.

To be completely honest, it's easy to think God's plan is so great when it is going my way, or at least how I thought it should go. It is shameful how much I struggled this past year...not trusting God. I got to the point of questioning whether it was even worth praying about because I figured God was just going to do whatever He wanted anyway. I was so stubborn and hard-hearted. I was jealous and heart broken.

I am reminded in Isaiah 55:8-9 that God does have a plan and it is much more than we can imagine. '"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways", declares the Lord. As the Heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.'

On the other hand, I feel so guilty even writing this because I know there are lots of women out there who have struggled with infertility for many years, or who have lost a child. And I just think that my situation could be so much worse than it is. I should be happy with the one healthy child I have.

Jeremiah 29:11 says '"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'

I have no idea what God is trying to accomplish in my life, but I can't let one year of it go to waste because it didn't turn out the way I wanted. He is the only one who knows what our future holds, whether it's a large family that I always dreamed of, or not. So I will continue to hold on to His promise in Proverbs 3:5-6.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."

9 comments:

Katy said...

Congratulations, Angel!
When are you due?

Lindsey said...

I am SO happy for you and AJ! You both are such wonderful parents. This new little one is sure to be blessed. Thank you for this beautiful post and good reminder to cherish our kiddos as blessing from the Lord.

AJ said...

WOW! What great news!!!! I was wondering what all those cravings for cheese, crackers, orange juice, and ice cream were all about?!? jk

I am so happy for you...errr...umm..I mean us!!

Love you darling! I am horrible at keeping secrets!

Glad that the whole blog world knows we're having a little one in 27 weeks!

Sarah said...

Angel, I can't believe you even kept this information from AJ :)
Congratulations!

Anna said...

Congrats AJ, Angel and Ari! You have opened up about something so very personal and I thank you for being so transparent in your walk with God. Many of us suffer with the same lack of trust (I know I do!) and it such a blessing to admit this and have others rally around you to pray. Know the A-Team is praying for you! Congrats again:)

The Kelly's said...

Congratulations Angel! I'm so sorry the past year has been a rough one for you. My kids were always going to be super close in age and God just didn't have that in our plan either. I know the feeling of frustration, lack of trust and jealousy. I will be praying for you during this pregnancy and asking God to give you peace. I'm sure Ari will be a great big brother!

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

I feel like I should say Congratulations too! I love you to pieces and I am so glad we have gotten to know each other over the past year or so and I am so so so so excited for you and AJ. Cannot wait to find out what this little one will be!

Amy's Anecdotes said...

Congratulations Angel and AJ!!! So glad our kids will be close in age again:)

Andy and Cari said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!
I was so trying to weedle out this info from you a couple of weeks ago and just did not have it in me to ask outright!
I did a happy dance when I read the first paragraph!
Praise God|! Love you guys!
C