Monday, December 21, 2009

My thoughts on Christmas...if you dare

So I made a comment on a post how we are the "no gifts on Christmas-type". Well, I feel the need to explain a little bit since I had some inquiries about it. I don't want to come across as a scrooge, because that is definitely not the case. Even though it's stinkin' cold out, we really enjoy all the festivities that come with the season. We are very much Christmas people seeing that we started putting decorations out before Thanksgiving, and AJ risked his life putting lights on the outside of our house too! However, we love Christmas because Christmas is such a great reminder how we should rejoice in the birth of our Savior. I don't want that overlooked at all. Our culture gets so caught up in Santa and the hustle and bustle of buying gifts for everyone that it just seems so out-of-hand. AJ and I aren't anti-gifts on Christmas...we just want to tone it down. We don't find it necessary to buy gifts for Christmas, just because our culture has been trained that way. And we definitely don't find it necessary to go in to debt or spend money we don't have just because people expect us to buy them something. Fortunately, we have family who respect that. If we have a need, we budget for it and get it. If we have a want, we budget for it and sometimes get it. I know that doesn't sound exciting at all. But if we decide we want to buy something special for each other or want to surprise each other with something, then we do it. But not on Christmas. Don't you think that makes it even more special? A completely, unexpected surprise - that required a whole lot more thought than reading from a Christmas wish list.

But don't get me wrong - we still buy gifts for others. It has been different each year though how we do it. This year both sides of our family agreed to draw names and only buy for one person. I actually really like this idea because we could put a limit on how much to spend, and you don't have to stress out on what/who to buy for. This satisfies the people who really enjoy opening something on Christmas and the bank account.

And as for Ari - I'm sure we'll do gifts when he is old enough to know what's going on. But for now, I will leave the gift giving up to others this Christmas.

I'm sure you regret reading this and wish you hadn't wasted your time...so I will stop with the ramblings and spare you my thoughts on santa. :)

And if I don't get to post again this week, have a Merry Christmas!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will only state AMEN Sister! Could go on, but won't.

Cristi Jo said...

so does that mean you won't be getting me anything?

just kidding - good thoughts. some people were shocked when we said we weren't getting maura anything for her first Christmas... she was under 2 months old!

i agree with you all the way

Heidi Stone said...

If only we could get OUR FAMILY to understand this....

Anonymous said...

Oh well that is not bad. Ryan and I pretty much never get gifts for each other. I think we did last year but that was one of the first since we dated (about an 8 year gap). I don't feel the need for us to get each other something either. I could care less. I do enjoy giving gifts though. I love getting gifts for all of my family and for my children. I don't really like getting them a sweater or something like that. I like getting them personal thoughtful gifts that I know they will enjoy. I do get my children something and we do Santa because my goodness, there is enough sadness and degradation in the world that I think they could have that enjoyment for a few years. I am sure they won't come to me in 15 years and tell me how there walk with the Lord isn't good because we allowed them to believe in Santa. But I do like how you said we should think about gifts all year long. A friend also commented that they celebrate Christ all year long. I think that is great too.