Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Some Changes

We are starting week four of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. I know it already comes highly recommended but I can't say enough good things about it. We have always been fairly conscious about our budget and how we spend our money, but this study has already been an eye-opener for us. Since we aren't too far off the beaten path (so far), there aren't many drastic changes to be made. However, the changes that do have to be made consist of saying goodbye to Comcast for a while and absolutely no eating out. I know, I said nothing drastic. Losing the cable is no big deal as I don't usually watch TV during the day and we only watch it in the evenings for a little while. We actually only got cable because it was cheaper to have all three (phone, internet, and cable) then to just have internet and phone. Some people might not find a home phone important but when we rented before we bought our house, we only had access to the internet.

One day I had left my purse in AJ's car which had my cell phone and keys in it. I couldn't call him or go to work so I was stuck at home with no contact to the outside world except by computer. (Thank goodness I had that!) I had to wait until he got to work at 8a, which is when I was supposed to be at work as well, and had to wait for him to check his email and call someone to pick me up and drive me to work. From that day on I wanted to make sure we had a home phone. Now that we won't have it, I'll just have to make sure I am more responsible about where I keep my purse!
Anyway, the internet will be missed by me as I will not have the opportunity to check emails or blog at home. (Or more importantly read everyone else's blogs--ahem, a daily ritual!) So I apologize in advance if I don't update as often. For now I will just have to cram in as much HGTV as possible for the next three days and catch up on some internet browsing to get me by. These minor luxuries will just have to wait until we get a few things in order.
The whole eating out part is not too big of a deal either since I am home most of the week and take my lunch with me on days I work. Although I think I am already having Chik-fil-a withdrawals!  AJ on the other hand sits at a desk for nearly 40 hours of the week and enjoys his 1 hour break a day to actually socialize and interact with people. I don't blame him! But there will be days he will get to eat out since meeting with clients usually means some kind of free lunch. 

Well, we will see how this goes for a while. I am extremely excited to get rid of all the electronics that sit out next to our tv. Here's what it looks like right now, which is actually better than it was because we had a surround sound system there which took up tons of space. When we get it all straightened up I will post our new look in our living room.

3 comments:

The Kelly's said...

I lost track of what week we're on with the Dave Ramsey class, but I do know that we're almost done! We recently got rid of our home phone, but we're going on 2 years without cable. It's been pretty easy so far. I only miss cable on rainy Sunday's when I could be watching a Lifetime movie. You'll have to let me know how the no internet works out for you. I don't know if I could do that! Good luck with everything. The Dave Ramsey plan is pretty exciting!

Heidi Stone said...

Yay! I am SO thrilled for you guys!

...but I know I already told you that. :)


mitnifi

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

If you need to watch HGTV you are more than welcome over here. You can check your e-mail too. We seem to go in spurts when it comes to cable. We have lived without before. I could live without TV mostly, but my husband is not all for that. When we did FPU, we needed a fridge and I bought a $33.00 "garage" refrigerator off of e-bay. It was not pretty but it did the job. I like how it makes you think outside the box and be creative, although my husband isn't the biggest fan of Dave he does like some of his principles.