Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Conversations with Ari

The moon! The sun! That's not the right deal! (Apparently that was the first time he noticed both of them out at the same time).

He was staring out the window while eating his lunch so I asked him what he was thinking about. "The world...and Jesus...and God." Not expecting that at all I asked him what exactly about. "Who made God?" Even in more shock I explained how God has always been and nobody made him. "Oh, he made himself?" Not knowing how deep this conversation should go for a 3 year old I simply said no and explained how he made everything else. After this conversation I was feeling a little inept for not thinking more deeply about life. I was just trying to get through lunch trying to feed myself while nursing a baby.

Another time at lunch he asked me if I understood God. Basically my answer was no.

During this Christmas season we have talked a lot about Mary. Well then when we started saying Merry Christmas I think he was confused and thought we meant "Mary Christmas". We also talked about the angel Gabriel and since he has some friends at church with the name Gabriel, I think he started wondering if we meant they were actually angels.

Ari has no sense of time and most days when he wakes up from his nap he'll exclaim "I slept for 20 hours!" He will also get phrases confused like "yesterday", "last year", "the other day", "last week", etc. So some conversations go like this "Last year when I brushed my teeth..." or "How's your afternoon?" Which that one would seem completely normal except he always asks me that in the morning.

His new thing is asking how to spell words. He wants to know how everything is spelled and sometimes it gets exhausting for me and AJ that we take turns spelling things out. I know that sounds silly but just think about spelling words for 10-15 minutes straight. It makes me tired just thinking about it!

No comments: