Saturday, December 17, 2011

why we don't do santa

I hope you don't find this offensive or judgmental. I am only sharing this because some people don't understand why we don't do santa. As Christians we strive to live holy lives that are pleasing to the Lord. First Corinthians 10:31 says "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." I don't believe there is anything about santa that can bring glory to God. 

Ari is 3 and still doesn't know who santa is. Last year he called him a snowman and this year he calls him an elf. Not because we told him that but just from what he has deduced on his own.

Ari has recently picked up a new habit. Lying. It's funny how children know to lie, even when they've never been taught to do that. It's called a sin nature. We all have it. But more importantly we are trying to teach him not to give in to the sinful nature - not to lie. Leviticus 19:11 says "Do not steal. Do not lie. Do not deceive one another." So why would I tell him anything about santa? It is deceitful and a lie.

I want my children to grow up knowing God's Word and what He has done for us all. Because we all have sinned (Rom. 3:23) God had to send His own Son to die on the cross for us, to pay that penalty that we deserve. I want my children to know that Jesus was the penalty for us. How can I teach them about Jesus and also tell them about santa? How will they decipher which one is real? And why should they believe me about Jesus if I am telling them a lie about santa?

We believe that everything we have is a blessing from God, and telling our children that it is anything but that just seems like a slap in the face to Him. If we do presents on Christmas, I want them to know how special it is and not that it was because they were "good" all year but because we have been given the means to do it. I want them to be "good" based on Biblical principles, not because they think a fake man is going to get them gifts if they obey. I want them to be grateful for the abundant blessings He has poured out on us, and not become self-focused on what they did to deserve the gifts.

I want my children looking forward to Christmas each year. Not because they know they will get presents (because maybe they won't always) but because it is the birth of our Savior. We should be doing all we can to help them understand the sacrifice He made for us, which first starts with His birth...the true meaning of Christmas!


Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

Alice said...

Those are good reasons. We don't do santa either, I was really disillusioned when I found out the truth when I was a kid. Maybe I was being over-sensitive, but it is what it is.

It's nice to not have to sneak around, either. Gifts are from us, they know that;)