Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day

I don't even know where to begin about this weekend. Mother's Day was more enjoyable than anticipated, much better than any birthday! Not to say anything about my past birthdays, but it usually isn't that big of deal to me. Being a mother is one of the greatest joys you could ever experience and I dare say that I have completely underestimated what my mother has done for us kids. I can't imagine how life would have been if I didn't have her in my life.

It was such a joy to be able to spend some time with all the mothers in my life. My own mother, my grandmother-who is now a newly great grandmother and is visiting from Florida, my mother-in-law, and also my sister-in-law (Molly) who is just newly pregnant. All of who I am very thankful for!

There was a baby dedication as well on Mother's Day at church, in which we participated. It was such a proud moment to tell everyone how the salvation of our little one is so important to us. We are extremely thankful for the church body to witness our commitment to Ari and to be able to hold us accountable.

During worship, we sang a song that had the lyrics...

Here am I, All of me

and all I was thinking was how, as mothers, it is so instinctual (and we are so willing) to give up everything and anything we have for our children without a second thought. I have noticed that it is not instinctual to do the same for God. We sit in church and sing these songs, but don't really give all of us to Him. Maybe in church we do, but from day to day it is so easy to make excuses as to why we don't have time to spend time in the word, pray without ceasing, etc. It's time to stop with the excuses, the "but's", the second thoughts...and time to really give All of me.

I want to start living my life--a life that is completely given to God--without any excuses or second thoughts. There is no time better than the present to be obedient!


Romans 12:1
"Therefore, I urge you brothers, in view of God's mercy to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God - this is your spiritual act of worship."

John 14:21
"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him."

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I appreciate what you said. You're right, there is no better time than now to start being completely obedient to God. You are such a good mother, I can't wait to see the man Ari grows up to be! It's an awesome thing when we do finally say "here am I, all of me" I find myself saying that often...and then I try to grab myself back! If I would just truly say that and stick with it... oh the blessings.

by the way, the kittens will be ready mid-June. It would be so nice if you could convince someone to take one! They are the cutest little things. Of course, Abigail wants to keep them all, but I'm not sure about that!